Welcome to Home Economics
All pupils entering the School in Year 11 will spend a term and a half studying Food and Nutrition. The course is designed to equip pupils with the nutritional knowledge necessary to make informed food choices wherever they are, by explaining the role of nutrients in the body and the effect they have on wellbeing and performance.
The GCSE course educates pupils by imparting genuine skills in aspects of food handling and preparation, also building a sound knowledge of nutrition and the ways of achieving a “balanced diet”. Sound organisation and time management skills develop well as the course progresses.
Pupils study a range of topics including:-
• The function and role of nutrients
• The nutritional value and role of the main food commodities
• Dietary reference values
• The effect of preparation and processing on foods and nutrients
• The factors affecting food choice
• Preservation and food spoilage
• Marketing and Advertising
• Consumer Legislation
Pupils develop their practical skills and learn to prepare a range of dishes suitable for a variety of occasions.
Our Teaching Staff:
Tutor i/c Mrs Jill Tait-Harris BEd
Miss Amanda Kinch BSc
Ms Vanessa Kellow BSc(Hons)