Welcome to World Development
World Development focuses on global issues and the development of a ‘one world’ vision. A wide-reaching social science taught at A2–Level, it demands an enthusiastic mind and interest in global events. Our department encourages pupils to debate issues as they open their minds to this stimulating course.
A grade C in GCSE English is required to join the course. The syllabus covers a range of disciplines including:
• Business Studies
• Environmental Science
In turn pupils will develop a range of skills including:
• Reference skills
• Communication skills
• Interpretative skills
• Evaluative skills
• Enquiry skills
A2-Level World Development
This course will appeal to those pupils who:
• Want to broaden their A level studies (sciences) to cover both sciences and humanities
• Enjoy travelling and ﬁnding out about new people, places and communities
• Want to keep their options open
A level World Development promotes an understanding of global issues and helps to develop a "one world" vision. It is a social science subject and offers a genuine opportunity for breadth of study for all students.
The course covers issues of sustainability and incorporates resource consumption as well as environmental management. In addition, students will study global poverty and inequality with reference to case studies in the UK and around the world.
The coursework for the AS course represents 30% of the total mark. This coursework comprises one essay and an analysis of current news items. The remaining 70% of marks involve a 2 hour examination paper.
The step up to A2 involves a study of development theory and explores the economic, social and political dimensions of the subject, its evolution and its value today. A wide range of reading is expected in order to exemplify the work.
The A2 coursework comprises 30% of the marks and involves the eventual production of a report for an agency of the student's choice, exploring a topical issue. Heavy emphasis is placed on the appropriateness of the content for the target audience. The remaining 70% of marks involve a 3 hour examination paper.