Millfield Year 10 student Oliver Reynolds has been named as the overall winner of the Millfield Biology Photography Competition 2020, with his close-up image of a bee.
The Millfield Biology Photography Competition invites students at both Millfield and Millfield Prep, staff and the wider community to submit photographs on a particular theme, with this year’s theme named as ‘Conservation’.
Millfield Headmaster Gavin Horgan commented on Oliver’s image, saying: “I loved the composition with some blossoms out of focus, I loved the contrasting colours of the bee and the blossom - a great reminder that nature is proud in purple and pink! I also liked the precision of the shot and the clarity of the wings.”
The full list of category winners are below. View the photos here.
1. Millfield Prep Winner – Georgiana Gordon, Year 7
2. Year 9 Winner – Nidal Shah, Year 9
3. Middle School Winner and Overall Winner – Oliver Reynolds, Year 10
4. Middle School Runner-Up – Grace Olding, Year 10
5. Sixth Form Winner – Ilyas Ammar Irman Hilmi, Upper Sixth
6. Staff Winner – Duncan Armour, Head of Chemistry, Millfield School
7. Wider Community Winner – Zackary Keane, Old Millfieldian
8. Best Photograph of Local Wildlife Winner – Jodie Thomas, Old Millfieldian
9. Best Photograph of Exotic Wildlife Winner – James Towers, Year 9
10. Best Photograph Depicting a Biological Concept – Sofia Shulzhenko, Year 9
11. Best Microscope Photographs – Sebastian Duke, Year 9
12. Best Photograph of a Landscape and Overall Runner-Up – Grace Olding, Year 10
13. Highly Commended – Duncan Armour, Head of Chemistry, Millfield School
The theme of the 2021 competition is ‘The Beauty and Wonder of Nature’. More information about the 2021 competition will be released in due course.