Following a highly competitive application process, including entrance exams and interviews, Upper Sixth students Ella Gambold, Rozalia Moore and Harriet Woodland-Broome have all received offers to study medicine from September.
Millfield has a strong track record in supporting students in their decision-making on which university or college is best for them.
Our Careers & Higher Education Department is resourced to provide guidance to meet individual aspirations, whatever a student's ambitions, whether it is Oxbridge, Russell Group, specialist colleges, American or other colleges and international universities.
University Destinations – 2021
The summer of 2021 saw a record number of Millfield leavers with confirmed places into university. In all, 86% of our leavers went into higher education, whether it be a top university or college in the UK, North America or elsewhere. The remaining 14% will either make post-results day applications to university in their gap year, go straight into employment or professional sport.
The Russell Group is made up of 24 research-intensive and highly academic universities in the UK, and this year 84 of our leavers plus 9 OMs won places there. An additional 36 leavers and 7 OMs achieved places at other Times Top 30 institutions (2021) which are not members of the Russell Group, including the likes of Bath, Loughborough and St Andrews. The Russell Group universities with the most places this year were Exeter, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Leeds, Durham and Bristol.
In recent years we have seen a significant increase in the number of leavers applying overseas, in particular to the USA and Canadian universities. Millfield provides specialist guidance for such applications and employs a Tutor in Charge, a SAT advisor and a Virginia Fellow. They ensure candidates get the best possible advice and are guided throughout the process. Millfield is one of few SAT centres in the UK which means that students can sit their SAT entry exam on campus. This year, 32 of our leavers won places at top US institutions including MIT, Princeton, Dartmouth and Berklee; 6 of them achieved a mixture of academic and sporting scholarships. Elsewhere, places were also won at universities in other locations including Canada, Spain, South Korea, China and New Zealand.
Our leavers have always applied to a wide range of traditional and vocational courses, and this year was no exception. As ever, the most favoured were social science-related courses, with business, economics and finance the most popular. The sciences were well-represented, including degree courses in medicine, medicinal chemistry, biosciences, sport science and engineering in its various forms. Our creative arts students applied for a variety of courses ranging from fine art and history of art to fashion design, visual communication and architecture.
All students without a career or higher education plan are offered 1:1 specialist careers advice before leaving Millfield, and are supported by the Careers Department and the OM Society after they leave.
We are looking forward to A level results day 2022 and to seeing the destinations of another set of leavers and OMs.
Millfield musicians are heading to prestigious universities to study a plethora of music courses.